OpenCore

Home Forums Macs Desktops Mac Pro OpenCore

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
      Keymaster

OpenCore is required to be able to run newer versions of macOS later than 10.14 Mojave and
      will work for macOS 10.15 Catalina and 11.0 Big Sur

The is the newest release of OpenCore (0.7.3) which has been updated with the patches
      required for correct functionality on later versions of macOS Big Sur thanks to user Syncretic
      from the MacRumors forums.

If you have a quad-core or six-core processor please use the EFI from the single socket folder
      and if you have an eight-core or twelve-core model please use the dual-socket EFI.

These EFI’s will work on Mac Pro 5,1’s or 4,1 models that have been upgraded to a 5,1.

You will also require a metal-capable graphics card the same as with 10.14 Mojave.
      Here is alist of cards that we know to work but there are more available:
      AMD RX 460, 470 & 480 (10.12.6 SIERRA +)
      AMD RX 560, 570, 580 & 590 (10.12.6 SIERRA +)
      AMD RADEON VII (MOJAVE +)
      AMD VEGA 56, 64 (MOJAVE +)
      AMD RX 5700XT (CATALINA +)
      NVIDIA KEPLAR BASED GPUS (GTX 680, QUADRO K5000, GTX 780, QUADRO NVS 510)
      (just a few examples)

This version of OpenCore works with macOS 10.15 Catalina and 11.0 Big Sur. If you are using an AMD card it will also work with macOS 12.0 Monterey up to Beta 7. The Nvidia cards are having some issues but we will try to correct this once the final release of Monterey is available. You can also boot into older versions of macOS using OpenCore and as it provides a basic driver for the graphics card you could boot into snow leopard for example with AMD RX 580 but you would not have any acceleration.

OpenCore adds a boot selector on startup for both AMD and Nvidia (Keplar) based GPUs as
      well as the option to reset the PRAM from this menu which is labeled “Reset NVRAM”.

If you are using an AMD card based on Polaris or newer (RX 460 or newer) hardware GPU
      acceleration is activated for encoding and decoding both H.264 & H.265 (HEVC).

Lastly, if you have a modified Titan-Ridge PCIe Thunderbolt card installed in slot 4 this EFI will
      allow for hotplugging devices.

Attachments:
    • opencore
      Participant

Is the update on/off folder no longer needed? It is not the zip file

Thanks

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • Charles
      Keymaster

Hi.

Not at the moment, there is just one EFI version currently which seems to be working well.

• Stuart
      Participant

Have you implemented the “SurPlus” fix ?

• Charles
      Keymaster

Yes, the SurPlus patch has been added.

• Stuart
      Participant

Ah awesome thank you so much. I have one other question, will this OC version give me a boot screen with a radeon pro wx5100 ?

• Charles
      Keymaster

Ah awesome thank you so much. I have one other question, will this OC version give me a boot screen with a radeon pro wx5100 ?

Yes that card should provide a boot screen with opencore. I have not tested it myself but I can’t see why it wouldn’t.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • opencore
      Participant

When you upgrade from opencore 7.2 to 7.3 do you need to re-bless the drive or can you just copy over the files and reboot?

Also i noticed in my EFI folder that the Apple folder is back. Is that to be expected? ie. in my EFI folder i have Apple, Boot, and OC.

Thanks

• opencore
      Participant

I installed a Titan Ridge 2.0 card and it works without an issue with OpenCore. However, when I connect a 27″ Thunderbolt display it will not work on boot most of the time (Sometimes it works from boot but most of the time it does not). I have to unplug and plug the monitor from the Titan Ridge card and then it turns on and works every time.  Sometime I get the error “Unplug he accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices”. This makes me think that the monitor is pulling to much power on boot to work correctly.

Is there a way to provide extra power to the Titan Ridge card? I have an RX580 graphics card and it is using two 6-pin power connections. Without the monitor turning on at boot I cannot get the brightness control to work because that requires a second USB cable from the monitor be connected. I know this works because 1 in 10 times rebooting it fires up just fine. I have another monitor connected to my graphics card via DVI (dell 30″). I even tried removing a few hard disks but that didn’t help either. I have in my mac the graphics card, Titan Ridge card and 5 drives (two are ssd and one is in the cd drive bay).

Thanks

• Charles
      Keymaster

When you upgrade from opencore 7.2 to 7.3 do you need to re-bless the drive or can you just copy over the files and reboot?

Also i noticed in my EFI folder that the Apple folder is back. Is that to be expected? ie. in my EFI folder i have Apple, Boot, and OC.

Thanks

Hi.

Don’t worry about the Apple folder, that’s normal.

You would not have to bless the drive again faster updating the EFI.

• Charles
      Keymaster

I installed a Titan Ridge 2.0 card and it works without an issue with OpenCore. However, when I connect a 27″ Thunderbolt display it will not work on boot most of the time (Sometimes it works from boot but most of the time it does not). I have to unplug and plug the monitor from the Titan Ridge card and then it turns on and works every time.  Sometime I get the error “Unplug he accessory using too much power to re-enable USB devices”. This makes me think that the monitor is pulling to much power on boot to work correctly.

Is there a way to provide extra power to the Titan Ridge card? I have an RX580 graphics card and it is using two 6-pin power connections. Without the monitor turning on at boot I cannot get the brightness control to work because that requires a second USB cable from the monitor be connected. I know this works because 1 in 10 times rebooting it fires up just fine. I have another monitor connected to my graphics card via DVI (dell 30″). I even tried removing a few hard disks but that didn’t help either. I have in my mac the graphics card, Titan Ridge card and 5 drives (two are ssd and one is in the cd drive bay).

Thanks

Hi.

I’m assuming you have the displayport passthrough cable attached?

The display should work every time however the thunderbolt features of the display such as the webcam, speakers, etc will require a restart for functionality as far as I know.

Does your titan-ridge have the custom firmware?