OpenCore

Home Forums Macs Desktops Mac Pro OpenCore

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
      Participant

As a follow-up to my previous message ,instead of Monterey, I was able to install Big Sur ( after a direct download of the full installer).

everything is working great!  Except no wi-fi.

• matty
      Participant

Macpro 5.1 ( mid 2010) RX-580, running Mojave fine for years  on PCI slot SSD. The install for Monterey downloaded from the app store and the  process begins but an error message about  a firmware update cannot be applied quits the process. Any ideas?

Hi Martin,

I’m afraid Monterey does not work with our Open Core yet. You can go as far as Big Sur for now.

• travhuff
      Participant

Macpro 5.1 ( mid 2010) RX-580, running Mojave fine for years  on PCI slot SSD. The install for Monterey downloaded from the app store and the  process begins but an error message about  a firmware update cannot be applied quits the process. Any ideas?

Same thing is happening

• travhuff
      Participant

BootCamp Questions:

• Can I use Boot Camp to install/Configure a Windows partition?
      • Will the Boot Camp Assistant mess up the configuration?
    • chris
      Participant

Hi, thanks for posting this — I have got as far as step 3 fine — the EFI is working, I get the boot screen. Going to System Preferences/Software Update I only get the option to upgrade to Monterey. What is the procedure to upgrade to Catalina form this point? I have tried downloading the full installer and that doesn’t work (I get the message “This version of macOS 10.15 cannot be installed on this computer”.

Thanks for your help, Chris

System: MacPro 5,1 mid2010. 2 x 3.46GHz OSX 10.14.6  Radeon RX590 GPU

• matty
      Participant

Hi, thanks for posting this — I have got as far as step 3 fine — the EFI is working, I get the boot screen. Going to System Preferences/Software Update I only get the option to upgrade to Monterey. What is the procedure to upgrade to Catalina form this point? I have tried downloading the full installer and that doesn’t work (I get the message “This version of macOS 10.15 cannot be installed on this computer”.

Hi Chris,

Can you try with Big Sur just to check? The message that you receive points to compatibility with the machine which would indicate Open Core not working.

Link for macOS’s https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

• matty
      Participant

Same thing is happening

It’s the EFI folder you have, we are working on a new one as we speak to go to Monterey, for now, it’s only Big Sur.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • chris
      Participant

Hi Chris,

Can you try with Big Sur just to check? The message that you receive points to compatibility with the machine which would indicate Open Core not working.

Hi Matty,

When I try to download the OS from that page, I get taken to the AppStore, then clicking on ‘GET’ opens up System Preferences > Software Update. There, after a brief ‘Finding Update’ moment, I get the error message “Update not found: The requested version of macOS is not available”. Is that because it’s no longer available on the app store, or because of the machine incompatibility? If, as you suggest, OpenCore may not be working, how can I check that? I do get the new boot options.

I tried re-c0pying the EFI files, and when I opened OpenCore Configurator again, I noticed that it said “You seem to have an old version of OpenCore bootLoader: This app creates a configuration file for version 0.7.5”.

Many thanks for your help!

Chris

• matty
      Participant

Hi Chris,

Hi Matty,

When I try to download the OS from that page, I get taken to the AppStore, then clicking on ‘GET’ opens up System Preferences > Software Update. There, after a brief ‘Finding Update’ moment, I get the error message “Update not found: The requested version of macOS is not available”. Is that because it’s no longer available on the app store, or because of the machine incompatibility? If, as you suggest, OpenCore may not be working, how can I check that? I do get the new boot options.

I tried re-c0pying the EFI files, and when I opened OpenCore Configurator again, I noticed that it said “You seem to have an old version of OpenCore bootLoader: This app creates a configuration file for version 0.7.5”.

Many thanks for your help!

Chris

You can ignore messages about the version of the bootloader.

In regards to macOS download, it’s been temperamental for some time now. Make sure you do not have VPN or something.

• imajez.com
      Participant

Same problem here.
      I’m on High Sierra installed with DosDude1 patch and can;t upgrade my Adobe apps unless I upgrade OSX.
      I see you say above that indicates OpenCore is not working [which was my assumption], despite seeing a boot screen for first time in many years.
      So how does one fix this?
      Cheers
      imajez

• matty
      Participant

Same problem here.
      I’m on High Sierra installed with DosDude1 patch and can;t upgrade my Adobe apps unless I upgrade OSX.
      I see you say above that indicates OpenCore is not working [which was my assumption], despite seeing a boot screen for first time in many years.
      So how does one fix this?
      Cheers
      imajez

Hi,

I have seen dos dude patch messing with Open Core before, I would advise fresh install then Open Core it, in regards to downloading macOS it’s sometimes very temperamental.

You can try Big Sur from here.

https://www.techspot.com/downloads/1928-macos-big-sur.html

One thing I would want to make you aware as well is to lift it to Mojave the natural way as there is a Firmware update to 144.

• comache
      Participant

installed Open Core, blessed the efi, restarted and it stucked into this screen. 🙁

Attachments:
    • Charles
      Keymaster

Hi Martin.

Sorry we have not done much testing on Monterey yet. I would say for Monterey you are best using MartinLo’s package. Martin’s Package As far as I know you have to enable to VMM flag and turn off update SMBIOS to be able to complete the installation then swap back to the standard EFI.

• matty
      Participant

installed Open Core, blessed the efi, restarted and it stucked into this screen. 🙁

Try to do the pram with 3 chimes then release.