OpenCore

Home Forums Macs Desktops Mac Pro OpenCore

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 67 total)
  • Author
      Participant

Hi all! My admin login and username wont work it switched my user to just a “standard user” after updating to big sur 11.6.1. Is there a way to re-set this up so that I can install new programs?

Also, my internet also wont connect via wifi or ethernet does anyone have any advice?

I’m really newbie so I appreciate all the help!

• thecrown
      Participant

Hi, have purchased the WI-Fi card and adaptor prior to upgrading from Mojave, any instructions for fitting ?

• thecrown
      Participant

Hi, no cables supplied with the PCI adaptor shown in your link ? where and what to buy ?

• geertjanvz
      Participant

With the open core EFI I get the boot picker screen on my Mac Pro 5,1 with a RX580 GPU. After choosing my system SSD I GET The Mac OS screen with the Apple logo And progress bar  But as soon the loading is finished my screen turns black. I have done a NVRAM PRAM reset several times. But with no succes.

What can I do next?

• artem
      Participant

Hi, thanks for posting this — I have got as far as step 3 fine — the EFI is working, I get the boot screen. Going to System Preferences/Software Update I only get the option to upgrade to Monterey. What is the procedure to upgrade to Catalina form this point? I have tried downloading the full installer and that doesn’t work (I get the message “This version of macOS 10.15 cannot be installed on this computer”.

Thanks for your help, Chris

System: MacPro 5,1 mid2010. 2 x 3.46GHz OSX 10.14.6  Radeon RX590 GPU

Hi Chris,

Can you try with Big Sur just to check? The message that you receive points to compatibility with the machine which would indicate Open Core not working.

Link for macOS’s https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT211683

Hi Matty,

When I try to download the OS from that page, I get taken to the AppStore, then clicking on ‘GET’ opens up System Preferences > Software Update. There, after a brief ‘Finding Update’ moment, I get the error message “Update not found: The requested version of macOS is not available”. Is that because it’s no longer available on the app store, or because of the machine incompatibility? If, as you suggest, OpenCore may not be working, how can I check that? I do get the new boot options.

I tried re-c0pying the EFI files, and when I opened OpenCore Configurator again, I noticed that it said “You seem to have an old version of OpenCore bootLoader: This app creates a configuration file for version 0.7.5”.

Many thanks for your help!

Chris

Hi matty, I followed all the steps and ran into the exact same issue described above. Running a dual-socket Mac with the following hardware:
      <p class=”p1″>Hardware Overview:</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Model Name: Mac Pro</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Model Identifier: MacPro5,1</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Processor Name: 6-Core Intel Xeon</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Processor Speed: 3.46 GHz</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Number of Processors: 2</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Total Number of Cores: 12</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  L3 Cache (per Processor): 12 MB</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Memory: 96 GB</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Boot ROM Version: 9144.0.7.3.1</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  SMC Version (system): 1.39f11</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  SMC Version (processor tray): 1.39f11</p>

<p class=”p1″>Radeon RX 580:</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Chipset Model: Radeon RX 580</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Type: GPU</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Bus: PCIe</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Slot: Slot-1</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  PCIe Lane Width: x16</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  VRAM (Total): 8 GB</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Vendor: AMD (0x1002)</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Device ID: 0x67df</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Revision ID: 0x00e7</p>
      <p class=”p1″>  Metal: Supported, feature set macOS GPUFamily2 v1</p>

I worked around the unavailable update from Catalina by downloading the installation from another machine running Catalina. Whenever I’m trying to install it though I’m getting ‘This version of MacOS 10.15.7 cannot be installed on this computer’.

I never messed with any dosdude/opencore packages before and the Mac had been upgraded to Mojave using official update from Apple. Any ideas?

Attachments:
    • artem
      Participant

<p class=”p1″>Just wanted to follow-up on the post I made above. I was able to find a solution to the issue in post 1415626. I basically installed the package from here. And then I edited config.plist as described in the video. And just like that I’m running a fresh Catalina install. Questions? Please, let me know.</p>

• spiderpod7d
      Participant

Hi Charles

I watched your video ”

Mac Pro 5,1 OpenCore Install Guide: Catalina Update, GPU Acceleration & Thunderbolt 3! and went to the opencore download page
      which provide me with Open core configurator version 0.7.6. This version does not have the two
      folders for upgrade on or upgrade off so will it work as described in your video? If not where do I download the the exact version of the apps you used in the video.

I am trying to upgrade a MAC Pro 5,1 boot rom 144 with generic RX580 8GB video card fro Mojave to Catalina

Thanks for your input

• spiderpod7d
      Participant

Hi Charles

I watched your video ”

Mac Pro 5,1 OpenCore Install Guide: Catalina Update, GPU Acceleration & Thunderbolt 3! and went to the opencore download page
      which provide me with Open core configurator version 0.7.6. This version does not have the two
      folders for upgrade on or upgrade off so will it work as described in your video? If not where do I download the the exact version of the apps you used in the video.

I am trying to upgrade a MAC Pro 5,1 boot rom 144 with generic RX580 8GB video card fro Mojave to Catalina

Thanks for your input

I forgot to mention my MAc Pro is early 2009 probably 4,1 upgraded to 5,1 and 12 core

• neemasaedian
      Participant

Hi everyone,

Terrific video. Thank you for all the help. However, I cannot get my 5,1 to upgrade to Catalina and I’m unsure about this “upgrade on/off” file. I only had one EFI file.

Questions: How can I fix the EFI so that my 5,1 operates smoothly?

Next question: is anyone willing to get on a phone call so that we can actually discuss this issue?

• tabuso
      Participant

Hello,

I’m running Mojave on 5,1 MacPro, 3.33 quad-core, 40gb ram, MSI Radeon RX560 4gb and Samsung SSD 970 EVO through pcie slot. 

Have followed the tutorial opened EFI partition, which was empty to start with, added SINGLE SOCKET EFI folder and contents, rebooted with cmd +r, monitor light changes colour which means it receives signal but screen remains blank, hence unable to continue with the process.

Is there a compatibility issue with Radeon cards? Or have I missed something?

Using latest 0.76 open core release.

Thanks

• tabuso
      Participant

Hello,

I’m running Mojave on 5,1 MacPro, 3.33 quad-core, 40gb ram, MSI Radeon RX560 4gb and Samsung SSD 970 EVO through pcie slot. 

Have followed the tutorial opened EFI partition, which was empty to start with, added SINGLE SOCKET EFI folder and contents, rebooted with cmd +r, monitor light changes colour which means it receives signal but screen remains blank, hence unable to continue with the process.

Is there a compatibility issue with Radeon cards? Or have I missed something?

Using latest 0.76 open core release.

Open Core EFI folder didn’t have updates on or off sub-folders

Thanks

• artem
      Participant

tabuso, neemasaedian, spiderpod7d – please, refer to post #1415630. Long story short – the solution described in the video (including the package and configuration supplied) doesn’t seem to work anymore. You need to download the package from MacRumors – I followed the steps described on that thread and everything worked like a charm. Even my WiFi started to work after a tiny fix in the config.plist.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • tabuso
      Participant

Thanks for the update, quite a long thread must have missed it.

Update on original content I unplugged and reconnected my monitors and I got the boot screen, however big sur begins to install then remains in a boot loop after initial installation.

I’ll try the mac rumours solution out.

Thanks again

• tabuso
      Participant

Went through the steps but received firmware error during installation of Monterey.

Any suggestions?

• artem
      Participant

Went through the steps but received firmware error during installation of Monterey.

Any suggestions?

Yes. Stay away from Monterey as it’s not yet supported.