OpenCore

Home Forums Macs Desktops Mac Pro OpenCore

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 67 total)
  • Author
      Participant

Ok thanks, keep an eye out for next update.

• neemasaedian
      Participant

tabuso, neemasaedian, spiderpod7d – please, refer to post #1415630. Long story short – the solution described in the video (including the package and configuration supplied) doesn’t seem to work anymore. You need to download the package from MacRumors – I followed the steps described on that thread and everything worked like a charm. Even my WiFi started to work after a tiny fix in the config.plist.

Thank you so much!

Question: If I already performed like the video says to, am I okay to re-do the process as you’re telling me to? I’m just trying to do this successfully and move on. Keep me posted and again, thank you so much

• artem
      Participant

tabuso, neemasaedian, spiderpod7d – please, refer to post #1415630. Long story short – the solution described in the video (including the package and configuration supplied) doesn’t seem to work anymore. You need to download the package from MacRumors – I followed the steps described on that thread and everything worked like a charm. Even my WiFi started to work after a tiny fix in the config.plist.

Thank you so much!

Question: If I already performed like the video says to, am I okay to re-do the process as you’re telling me to? I’m just trying to do this successfully and move on. Keep me posted and again, thank you so much

Yes, I believe you can do it safely (because that’s exactly my case also). I had no issues.

• neemasaedian
      Participant

<p class=”p1″>Just wanted to follow-up on the post I made above. I was able to find a solution to the issue in post 1415626. I basically installed the package from here. And then I edited config.plist as described in the video. And just like that I’m running a fresh Catalina install. Questions? Please, let me know.</p>

Hi Artem, when I click this link, I get a direct download package. After that, should I just follow the video instructions? I don’t see a threat anywhere…

Let me know! Thanks again!

• artem
      Participant

<p class=”p1″>Just wanted to follow-up on the post I made above. I was able to find a solution to the issue in post 1415626. I basically installed the package from here. And then I edited config.plist as described in the video. And just like that I’m running a fresh Catalina install. Questions? Please, let me know.</p>

Hi Artem, when I click this link, I get a direct download package. After that, should I just follow the video instructions? I don’t see a threat anywhere…

you can follow the steps in the video from Martin Lo, who’s a creator of the package. You will also find the link to the discussion forum in the description where you’ll find other video guides. It’s very simple and only takes 15 minutes at most.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • neemasaedian
      Participant

you can follow the steps in the video from Martin Lo, who’s a creator of the package. You will also find the link to the discussion forum in the description where you’ll find other video guides. It’s very simple and only takes 15 minutes at most.

Artem, I ran the steps and I’m still not able to install Catalina. Going to try Martin Lo’s Catalina steps shortly but I’m worried this won’t work

• artem
      Participant

Artem, I ran the steps and I’m still not able to install Catalina. Going to try Martin Lo’s Catalina steps shortly but I’m worried this won’t work

Please, send a screenshot of your Mac configuration (about my mac) from the menu. Also, please, list detailed steps you’ve taken so I can help you troubleshoot.

• ericstrausser
      Participant

Hello all,

I’m looking to try an Open Core Catalina install and had a few questions before I go in.

Can I run a regular Mojave install on one drive and an Open Core Catalina on another and switch back and forth?

I’d like to put the Open Core Catalina on an SSD and run it from one of the bays?

I currently have a Sonnet M.2 card in my 12Core MP5,1.  One 2TB blade is my current Mojave and the other 3 are zero raided into a single 6TB audio work drive.

Will an Open Core drive in the system conflict with this NVME PCIe card in any way?  Would I need to remove it?

Will the Open Core process change my MP5,1 or my Saphire RX580 in any permanent way?

Is removing Open Core from my Mac as easy as removing the Open Core drive and booting from my regular Mojave install on the NVME?  Or does it bleed beyond the drive it’s installed on?

Thanks.

• artem
      Participant

Hello all,

I’m looking to try an Open Core Catalina install and had a few questions before I go in.

Can I run a regular Mojave install on one drive and an Open Core Catalina on another and switch back and forth?

I’d like to put the Open Core Catalina on an SSD and run it from one of the bays?

I currently have a Sonnet M.2 card in my 12Core MP5,1.  One 2TB blade is my current Mojave and the other 3 are zero raided into a single 6TB audio work drive.

Will an Open Core drive in the system conflict with this NVME PCIe card in any way?  Would I need to remove it?

Will the Open Core process change my MP5,1 or my Saphire RX580 in any permanent way?

Is removing Open Core from my Mac as easy as removing the Open Core drive and booting from my regular Mojave install on the NVME?  Or does it bleed beyond the drive it’s installed on?

Thanks.

The short answer to your question is – yes, I believe you can switch back and forth. The way to do that would be to have an OEM installation of your Mojave in the first place:

1. Then you would clone your first drive to the second one and remove it from the bay (just so you can be certain that your experiment doesn’t go south if you get confused in the process and mess with the original drive. It should serve as your rescue)
      2. I would then install OpenCore on your second drive following the standard process and install Catalina

Hard to know without trying. The method in 1-2 should give you enough confidence for experimentation since you can always fall back easily.

Absolutely not, lol. Open Core is a boot loader and it has nothing to do with your firmware ROM.

Yes, pretty much. It certainly doesn’t bleed, because it lives on your hard drive. Unless you believe that it’s like COVID, then yes, I would be worried. Jokes aside, you are absolutely safe.

1 user thanked author for this post.
    • matty
      Participant

Hi all! My admin login and username wont work it switched my user to just a “standard user” after updating to big sur 11.6.1. Is there a way to re-set this up so that I can install new programs?

Also, my internet also wont connect via wifi or ethernet does anyone have any advice?

I’m really newbie so I appreciate all the help!

Hi,

This should help you!

Fixing Mac No Admin Account On macOS Mojave Or Later

• matty
      Participant

Hi, have purchased the WI-Fi card and adaptor prior to upgrading from Mojave, any instructions for fitting ?

Drop me an email at [email protected] that you need a guide I will send you a video.

• matty
      Participant

Hello,

I’m running Mojave on 5,1 MacPro, 3.33 quad-core, 40gb ram, MSI Radeon RX560 4gb and Samsung SSD 970 EVO through pcie slot. 

Have followed the tutorial opened EFI partition, which was empty to start with, added SINGLE SOCKET EFI folder and contents, rebooted with cmd +r, monitor light changes colour which means it receives signal but screen remains blank, hence unable to continue with the process.

Is there a compatibility issue with Radeon cards? Or have I missed something?

Using latest 0.76 open core release.

Thanks

Make sure there is only 1 screen connected.

• matty
      Participant

Went through the steps but received firmware error during installation of Monterey.

Any suggestions?

Yes, it’s not ready for Monterey and also Monterey is not great now!

• neemasaedian
      Participant

Please, send a screenshot of your Mac configuration (about my mac) from the menu. Also, please, list detailed steps you’ve taken so I can help you troubleshoot.

Hello Artem, thank you for all the help. I’ve attached the screenshot you requested and I’m outlining my steps for you below.

Originally, I had followed the video posted by MacFinder and everything worked fine but I don’t think I ever closed the loop on the install because the OC files I downloaded did not have the “Updates ON/Updates OFF” folder options. As a result, my 5,1 is running Mojave, I get a temporary boot screen every time I turn the computer on, and I cannot update to Catalina. I get the “This machine cannot update to…” message.

5,1 Configuration pictured below.

Full disclosure, if I need to do something that requires formatting the drive(s), I’m good for that. This is computer is an experimental project for me.

Keep me posted and thank you again!

Attachments:
    • throwback2550
      Participant

Hi,

I am running Mojave on a Mac Pro 5,1 with a Radeon 580 card.

When I install Opencore I get a strange multicolored and washed out boot screen (hello Andy Warhol style !) instead of a standard grey boot with black details screen.

This is very disconcerting and it’s hard to even make out the various drives to choose from.  I have tried re-seating the card and double checked the cable connections, but it is repeatable and as soon as Opencore hits the startup page, everything goes to normal.

What is going on ?  Is there any way to correct this ?

Cheers, C

Attachments: